The Savannah Sailing Center is a volunteer, community based non-profit 501(c) (3) organization dedicated to promoting the sport of sailing. SSC is committed to community-wide participation through outreach programs emphasizing youth, learn-to-sail, and race training.
- Lake Mayer is the ideal location for first time, novice and youth sailors.
- Scheduled open sail dates will be posted on our calendar during the year at our Lake Mayer facility for skill certified members. Certified members must register with our office administrator on designated dates and pay a $10 fee for boat utilization (parents must remain on the premises for members 8-13 years of age). There will be a US Sailing Certified Instructor and safety boat on the water during open sail.
- Sailing instruction at a reduced rate.
- 10% Military Discount
Types of Membership
- Senior is an adult over the age of 64.
- Single is an adult between the ages of 18 through 64.
- Student is defined as an individual attending school between the ages of 8 through 26 and is not a member of a SSC sponsored high school/college sailing team.
- High school /college sailing team is defined as an individual that is an active participant in weekly team practices during the school year. This also includes a family membership.
- Family is defined as two adults and all dependents living within the same household.
Restrictions and Obligations
- Members are subject to all rules and regulations of the Lake Mayer Community Park.
- All members must be skill certified to sail on Open Sail dates.
- Members with prior sailing experience may register with our office administrator to take the Skills Test for
$40.00 to become certified in the boat you are tested in (options include 420, Sunfish, Opti or Harpoon). Members with little or no sailing experience must first take lessons and complete the basic beginner skills as set forth by US Sailing prior to taking the Skills Test for certification at SSC (*1st time failure to pass the Skills Test- members will be able to schedule a 2nd try at no additional cost).
- Team Lessons/Saturday Lessons/Summer Camp and Open Sail dates are subject to cancellation due to the lack of students, safety issues, weather conditions or as the Board of Directors deems necessary.
- Boats and equipment are available on a first registered first serve basis with the exception of scheduled instruction, events, and regattas.
- Volunteering is an excellent way to learn about race organizing and other facets of sailing management.
- Senior, Adult, Student, and Family memberships are annual from date of registration.
- High School/College team memberships are annual from August 15th through August 14th of the next year (No Pro-ration). The Coaching seasons are as follows: Fall season starts August 15th and ends the 2nd week of November, Spring season starts February 1st and ends the last week of April.
- A copy of the bylaws is available upon request. SSC has the right to change policy and procedure, as the board deems necessary.
The Savannah Sailing Center understands that some of our members might not be able to participate actively in SSC’s events and understand that a monetary donation is sometimes more feasible. All donations are tax deductible.
Click Each Form Below To Download: